Friday, November 06, 2009

What's Up: Singapore's newspaper for students



This is a letter written by my beloved Sister Joyce to the http://www.whatsup.sg/ on Maldives

"HOPE PEOPLE OF MALDIVES CAN STAY ON"
From: Joyce Guee, Pri 6, St. Anthony's Canossian Primary


"After reading about the threat Maldives is facing, I really think that they are suffering innocently. The reason why the Maldives are worrying that their country will vanish from the face of the earth is because of us. We are the ones causing all the global warming and rising sea levels, and we are just sitting here and doing nothing to save Male! Many people may think that they can do nothing as the affected one is not their country. However, I believe that as years go by and the global warming becomes worse, other countries will also be submerged by the rising sea level. Then, it may be too late to save our Earth. We should start learning from Male by depending on clean sources of energy such as the wind or solar power rather than oil. Using less plastic bags or reusing also helps to reduce the chance of Male disappearing from Earth. I hope that the people of the Maldives will be able to continue to stay in their country, as I know moving to a new country will not be the same as staying in the paradise they were born in."

Her reflection is written based on the article about the Maldives having to divert cash from toursim to buy land in case the rising sea level submerge its low lying coral islands. The worst case scenario would be that some or even all of their islands would become uninhabitatable and Maldivians would have to look for alternative places to live.

I'm so proud of my sister Joyce. I didn't even suggest her to write in or anything close to that. She wrote this solely on her initiative. I need to blog it down because who knows 2 months or 2 years down the road where will this article be?? So I'm archiving for her!

No comments: