Friday, February 18, 2011

127 Hours

17 February 2011, Thursday


I went to watch 127 Hours @ NEX with bff today(: [127 is the number of her birthday too]

The scenery at Blue John Canyon is terrifically awesome. I wish I had a chance to personally experience it, to press my face against its surface and trace contours of those beautiful rocks.

I really admire Aron Ralston's spirit of adventure and his strong will to live on. He had to resort to drinking his own pee and amputating his own arm with a tool. That surely takes alot of courage. I tried to imagine if I was trapped in the position like him, what I would do is probably let myself die of starvation and dehydration rather than drink my own pee and cut off my own arm.


The scene of playing c.chess with Xuan Hao suddenly flashed back from 10 years ago. The second that his important piece was eaten by me, he would try to convince me to let him do re-move. When I refuse, he would overturn the board and give up the whole game. After he stomped off, I was the one picking up his flying pieces on the floor. At that time, I thought he was the biggest sore loser. Now I realise that I am no much better than him, if I had to give up one important part of my body that handicapped most of my life, I rather give up my life. I am a sore loser in life. But Arson Ralston is not(: He continues to embark on different expeditions even after he lost an arm. He cut off his arm but not his spirit of adventure.

Some follow up facts:


- The actual footage has only been shown to family and close friends and is kept in a bank vault for safety. James Franco and Danny Boyle were also allowed to view the footage.


- The camcorder used in the movie is the actual one Aron Ralston used when he is in Blue John Canyon


-Ralston did indeed record himself hallucinating, examining his life and drinking his own urine.


- It took 13 men, a winch, and a hydraulic jack to life the boulder high enough to retrieve his arm.


-Ralston went back to the scene of accident with a NBC New Achor to scatter the ashes of his amputated arm over the boulder that had trapped him
(from IMBD)

No comments: